Secure Food Blog

You really want to know how I live or think - read my blog on securefood.blogspot.com

Tuesday, July 13, 2010

My Platform - Are you Kidding???

A couple of friends have asked what my platform is - I sat and wondered myself. I am not sure I have what one might call a platform - that means I have a solid ground to stand on. As wet as it has been this year there is little solid ground for anyone to stand on in Oklahoma.

The seed/farm exemption issue with seeds not being listed as a Farm Exempt product and therefore leaving me with having to pay taxes on seeds is in itself a issue of complete nonsense in the area of what the Oklahoma Tax Commission considers to be exempt of taxes. I mean, how does one farm without seeds? Now I don't mean to denigrate anyone who raises animals - that's another aspect of farming but really - I can buy a bungie cord or dog food with farm exemption but I can't buy seeds.

So do I have a platform - no. I have a desire - to do good - to do good for the most people that I can. It's one reason I started two farmers markets. It's why I spent so much time working on a Buy Fresh/Buy Local database back in November - because it was needed by a all the farmers in Green Country. It's why I agreed to tie one market to a school district - it was mutually beneficial. It's why I grow orga. . . dammit - I can't say that word because it belongs to the government - it's why I grow chemical free, pesticide free. It makes my veggies safe for you. It makes my land safe for me to be out on. This is why I recycle taking all my cans, pop bottles and milk containers to SHOW. Recycling is harder to do than just trashing my garbage but it is good for the planet. This is why I bought a car that I plan to drive one million miles. I have always thought about others and tried to be a good citizen of the planet, not just look out for me.

I have planned on doing some videos - I want them to be funny - and informative - and I am finding it very difficult to plan to get it done because I am doing already good for others. Just understand that I do what I can and if I get a chance to look into the way this state is run, and make it better for as many as possible, I will - it is who I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment