Secure Food Blog

You really want to know how I live or think - read my blog on securefood.blogspot.com

Friday, October 8, 2010

Okra and Bigotry

I've had so much okra and seems it isn't high on anyone's eating list - most of us like it fried so maybe it is a bit much. But to not let it go to waste I have taken it to the Senior Citizen's Center. I noticed and found out that Booker T used to be a senior center for the black community - but Sapulpa is a town divided and our Sapulpa Herald's headline that McCain Carried Oklahoma during the last presidential alarmed much of its citizenship - sad - really sad. Even I vowed not to do business with the Herald after than and I haven't. Sadder yet for a person who would like to represent this district. So a man from Booker T called about my okra which has been delivered since no cars were around Booker T but they will get the next picking.

When I was in the first grade my dad was stationed in England and we had to wait three months to join him. A little girl became my friend and she allowed me to try to ride her bicycle - she was black. Never dawned on me that she didn't even go to my school back then - til very recently. I once wrote a letter to the Davenport paper - rather cryptic letter since I didn't know if they had a paper looking for this little girl. I wrote it several years back - and never got a returned answer. Being military, I was best friends with JoAnne Sandoval - she was Hispanic - her dad was also in the service. I didn't grow up bigotted - it isn't Christlike or Christian to be bigotted - we have all these churches in Oklahoma and still we are divided - and it bothers me.

No comments:

Post a Comment